Miss Shauna (Early Childhood Center ASD & ECSE Programs)

Welcome to the Speech-Language Pathology site! My name is Shauna Karel. I am the speech-language pathologist at the Hudsonville Early Childhood Center (ECC) who works with children within the spectrum of our Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) preschool programs.  I have the pleasure of servicing preschool-age students with a variety of communication needs related to receptive and expressive language deficits, social-communication difficulties, use of augmentative-alternative communication (AAC) systems, and speech impairments attributed to articulation, phonological, and motor-speech disorders.

I have worked as a certified speech-language pathologist (SLP) for over 20 years.  Many of those years have been spent in the educational setting, although I also worked in medical settings for several years.  Some of my passions are to help parents and caregivers of preschoolers to gain a better understanding of speech and language development, as well as to show caregivers that developing functional communication skills does not have to be restricted to “table time” or “homework”—you can help your child learn while doing the things you normally do each day (i.e., doing laundry, eating dinner, playing games, grocery shopping, riding in the car, singing songs, reading books).

I am truly blessed to work with the great students, parents, and staff here in Hudsonville!  If you have any comments or questions, you may contact me at the Hudsonville ECC at 797-0842 ex)55212 or via email at skarel@hpseagles.net

Shauna Karel, MA, CCC-SLP